After getting snowed out last weekend, the Klondike Derby will be this weekend (January 29 to 31) at Pine Hill Scout Reservation! How will our Scouts stack up against the other patrols in White Horse District?
Cost is $25 per Scout, we'll meet at the shed at 5:30 PM on Friday to pack! We'll be back early on Sunday!
The Valley Forge trip the first weekend of this month was great! To start - temperatures in the 60s!
We did a 7 mile hike near the river, which included spotting a large turtle, finding an abandoned barn and mansion, and climbing the oldest tree in the county (and what a massive, impressive tree it is!)
Thanks to all the adults who helped out, it was a great way to end the camping year!
Thank you to everyone who came out today to help thank our troops for their service to our country! We had in the neighborhood of 30 scouts, family members, and friends show up!
Thank you to everyone who came out to Tim's Eagle project on Saturday! He had over FORTY volunteers. Thus, Tim's huge project to resurface the mile long Batsto Lake (Red) Trail was blazed through (pun intended) in just one day, instead of both days of the weekend. The only reason Tim finished just 85% of the trail is that there wasn't enough gravel!
Tim will announce the final work day once Batsto restocks their gravel supply.
The trip last weekend to the Naval Academy was excellent! Friday night, we camped out in a backyard within a stone's throw of the stadium. Saturday, we hopped on a bus and headed over to the United States Naval Academy for a tour of the facility. Afterwards, we did some exploring of our own, before ending up back at the stadium to watch Navy destroy SMU in the last home football game of the season. We might have arrived back at the shed super late on Saturday night, but we arrived home happy!
HUGE thank you to the Davis family for being such wonderful hosts and making this whole weekend happen!
Thank you to Dan and Timmy for representing Troop 48 at the GIFT Thanksgiving Food Distribution this Saturday! We were split between two projects at once, but I heard that these young men did a great job representing us and worked very hard. Great job guys!
Overall, GIFT provides over 150 families with Thanksgiving meals.
Week of service! Need help with service projects Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! Two projects Saturday!
Big, Huge, Major Problem #1 - Due to a time change, Troop 48 has been double booked for service hours this Saturday. Tim's Eagle Project (which he needs a ton of help on) will be taking place, but at the exact same time the GIFT Food Pantry at Holy Communion Lutheran Church is distributing Thanksgiving meals and needs our help with carrying things.
Dropping out of either one of these is not an option, so we really need all hands on deck to help with one location or the other on Saturday. PLEASE let me know via e-mail or tonight in person if your scout and/or you can help with either of the events this Saturday! Details below...
Eight days of Scouting Service
- Scouting for Food is in high gear. Bags should have been distributed at this time to friends and neighbors with a note asking for non-perishable food donations (the note is already made up, and was distributed in a past e-mail. All you have to do is print and put a date on there!). All donations will go to support Berlin's G.I.F.T Food Pantry at our own Holy Communion Lutheran Church. There are three days/times to drop off food:
* Tonight at the shed during our regular meeting times.
* This Friday, November 20 at Holy Communion Lutheran Church between 4 and 5 PM.
* This Saturday, November 21 at Holy Communion Lutheran Church between 11 AM and Noon for the meal distribution.
If you end up not dropping the food off on time, still bring it in! The Food Pantry is open year round, so will happily take food after our Scouting for Food Drive officially closes!
- This Friday, November 20 - Holy Communion Church @ 4 PM - The GIFT Food Pantry needs help putting together their Thanksgiving meal packages. This will go on until the work is finished.
- This Saturday, November 21 - Holy Communion Church @ 11 AM to 12 PM. The GIFT Food Pantry needs strong Scouts to help carry Thanksgiving meals to cars during their pickup event. Please wear your "Class A" uniform and make sure to bring gloves (frozen turkeys are COLD!)
- This Saturday, November 21 9 AM to 4 PM - Tim S's Eagle Project @ Batsto. "Please plan on attending my Eagle Scout Project on Saturday November 21 and Sunday November 22 at 9 AM to 4 PM. We will be resurfacing a trail in Batsto Village in Wharton State Forest. Please bring gloves, shoves, rakes, and wheelbarrows if you have them. Lunch will be provided of course. Thank you for your support."
- This Sunday, November 22 - 9 AM to 4 PM - Tim S's Eagle Project @ Batsto. "Please plan on attending my Eagle Scout Project on Saturday November 21 and Sunday November 22 at 9 AM to 4 PM. We will be resurfacing a trail in Batsto Village in Wharton State Forest. Please bring gloves, shoves, rakes, and wheelbarrows if you have them. Lunch will be provided of course. Thank you for your support."
A reminder that registration for the White Horse District Reach for the Stars Rocketry Competition ends this Friday, November 20th! The event itself is Saturday, December 12.
What? - A rocketry competition where Scouts will build and launch their own model rocket. This is part of the larger Reach for the Stars National Rocketry Contest, and winners may qualify for a no-expense paid trip down to Florida for the national finals!
National information can be found at http://www.therocketman.net/ (not an Elton John fan site)
When?: Saturday, December 12 10 AM to 4 PM.
Where? Pine Hill Scout Reservation in Pine Hill, NJ.
Each participant will receive:
« Registration in the national competition
« A rocket kit to build and keep
« Supplies for 2 launches
« Full color Certificate of Achievement bearing Christa McAuliffe’s quote and artwork of astronaut & moonwalker, Alan Bean
Who can participate?: All registered Boy Scouts are eligible! Participating Scouts may also bring a friend (who must also register in advance).
Cost - $15 per Scout (paid to White Horse District through their website, NOT through Troop 48).
How do I register?:
Registration closes on November 20th!
Pack a lunch that day and make sure to dress warm!
Note - this is NOT a Troop activity, and none of our leaders are part of the organization or running of the event (although some may attend with their Scouts). If your Scout is interested, make sure to register him via the link provided! Any Scouts who go that day, please take pictures!
Thank you to everyone who came out to help Luke this weekend! He finished up his project, which included sanding and repainting twenty picnic tables, clearing out a volleyball court, and doing some clearing and weeding of the trails at Camp FAC in Marlton. Great job Luke!