September approaches, which means a new year begins for Troop 48. Dates to know:
- Wednesday, September 4 – First meeting of the year! Fire building & smore making
- Wednesday, September 11 – Patrol fire building contest.
- Wednesday, September 18 – Elections!
- Wednesday, September 25 – Leader’s Meeting – Scouts plan the trips and activities for the year!
- Friday to Sunday, September 27-29 – MS 150 Trip.
- Friday, October 4 – Yard Sale Pre-sort
- Saturday, October 5 – Yard Sale!
For more details on these, check the Troop calandar or your e-mail inbox!
We're off to Virginia in the morning for the summer trip! Lots of pictures and stories when we get back!
The summer trip fast approaches - Saturday, August 3 to Friday, August 9! $100 deposit is due by Wednesday, June 26! The balance of payment ($130 for a total of $230) is due by August 1! Our annual summer trip is the highlight of our year, and has been the best part of Scouting for generations of Troop 48ers. Why should your Scout be going? Action, adventure, and fun!
What will all the Scouts be doing? - a hike up the mountain overlooking the camp, tubing down the Shenandoah River, visiting Harper's Ferry National Historic Site, and more!
What will base camp be doing in addition to all that? - swimming, checking out the beautiful waterfalls and overlooks of Shenandoah National Park, caving for half a day, all day rock climbing with a guide, and a gorgeous hike through the national park!
We'll also have a backpacking crew trekking through some of the most beautiful land in the East for four lovely days!
All inclusive - food, campsite, all activities - $230. Dirt cheap!
If you family has concerns about payments, please talk to Mike McCormick (Scoutmaster) or Bob Faust (Treasurer). Payment plans, discounts, and/or scholarships will be arranged. Troop 48 firmly believes that no Scout should ever miss out on the Scouting experience due to financial concerns, all you have to do is talk to us.
Summer is just around the corner! The highlight of our summer is, of course, our week long trip to Shenandoah National Park in August (see calendar). We'll also be offering every last required merit badge and a slew of nonrequired ones! Here is just a start to our schedule:
Wednesday, June 5 - Wilderness Survival – Day 1 – Brian Murphy at the shed.
Wednesday, June 12 – Wilderness Survival – Day 2 – Brian Murphy at the shed.
Friday to Sunday, June 14-16 - Wilderness Survival Merit Badge while on trip with Brian Murphy.
Monday, June 24 – Family Life Merit Badge - Day 1 – 6 PM- 9 PM – Camden County Library, Voorhees, NJ with Deb Sperling
Tuesday, June 25 – Family Life Merit Badge- Day 2 - 6 PM – 9 PM – Camden Country Library, Voorhees, NJ with Deb Sperling
Wednesday, June 26 – Communications – Day 1 – 7 PM to 9 PM – the shed with Ken Smith
Wednesday, July 3 – Camping – Day 1 – 7 PM to 9 PM – the shed with Mike McCormick
Sunday, July 7, 2013 – Troop BBQ/Swim Day – Atsion Lake – Tom (Swimming), Mike Thompson? (Swimming/Lifesaving), Brandon Lee – Swimming – Mike Smith – Canoeing.
Monday, July 8 – First Aid – Day 1 - with Steven Hale @ 7:30 PM at the shed.
Tuesday, July 9 – Camping – Day 2 – with Mike McCormick @ 7 PM at the shed.
Wednesday, July 10 – Communications – Day 2 – 7 PM to 9 PM – the shed with Ken Smith
Fingerprinting at the shed with Officer Gillespie.
American Heritage with Mike McCormick
Monday, July 15 – First Aid – Day 2 – with Steven Hale @ 7:30 at the shed.
Tuesday, July 16 – Music – Day 1 – with Steven Hale @ 7:30 at the shed.
Camping – Day 3 – with Mike McCormick at the shed.
Wednesday, July 17 – Aviation – Day 1 – the shed with Mr. Smith
Citizenship in the Nation– Day 1 - Mike McCormick & Jiff Gillespie. The shed.
Saturday, July 20 – Citizenship in Nation – Day 2 – Mike McCormick & Jiff Gillespie – Philadelphia, PA.
Monday, July 22 – First Aid – Day 3 – with Steven Hale @ 7:30 at the shed.
Tuesday, July 23 – Music – Day 2 – with Steven Hale @ 7:30 at the shed.
Wednesday, July 24 – Aviation – Day 2 – the shed with Mr. Smith.
American Labor – Day 1 – the shed with Mr. Murphy.
Architecture – Day 1 – the shed with Mike McCormick
Tuesday, August 20 – Hiking – Day 1 – the shed with Mike McCormick
Wednesday, August 21 – Hiking – Day 2 – the shed with Mike McCormick
Much more to come!
Once again, congrats to our newest Eagle Scouts #107, 108, and 109 - Sean "Jiff" Gillespie, Karanveer "K.P." Pannu, and Dan "Danny" Smith. All of your hard work and dedication has paid off!
Congratulations to Mr. Danny Smith, who completed his Eagle Scout rank tonight! Danny is our 110th Eagle Scout.
Danny's Eagle Project was to plant trees and help with an updated, media-heavy phone tour of Batsto. He served just about every leadership position in the troop from "the only kid who listens (thanks Danny Ballas)" to Assistant Patrol Leader to Assistant Senior Patrol Leader to Senior Patrol Leader to Junior Assistant Scoutmaster, as well as Scribe and Webmaster on the side. He has been a big part of helping to revitalize the Troop, especially on the high adventure end of things.
Danny, we couldn't be prouder of you. Congrats!
Congrats to Karanveer "K.P." Pannu and Sean "Jif" Gillespie for finishing their journeys to Scouting's highest rank - Eagle Scout. The troop couldn't be prouder of the work that these two young men have done! Great job guys!
Another busy month!
- Sunday, November 4- Our 2nd Chance Yard Sale will be held at the Berlin Farmers Market in Berlin, NJ ofrom 8 AM to 2 PM. Adult and Scout volunteers are needed to help set up, man the booth (taking hour shifts), break down, and transport all remaining stuff to the Lindenwold Goodwill. If you can help, e-mail Ann Gillespie - email@example.com
- Today to Wednesday, November 7 - Candy For the Troops has begun! Bring all extra candy from Halloween to the next meeting! We, along with kids and adults from all over South Jersey, will be shipping the candy out to soldiers overseas and in hospitals on the home front!
- Friday to Sunday, November 9 to 11 Next campout - Goshen Pond Campout!
- Now until Monday, November 19 - Scouting For Food! Collect non-perishable groceries for the G.I.F.T Food Pantry in Berlin, NJ!
- Monday, November 19 - G.I.F.T. Food distribution! Passing out food to families in need at Holy Communion Lutheran Church from 5 PM to 9 PMish!